Good storytelling starts with great listening. At Audible, that means each role and every project has our audience in mind. Because the same people who design, develop, and deploy our products also happen to use them. To us, that speaks volumes.
About this role
This opportunity is for a Director of Software Development who will manage and grow one or more engineering teams for Audibles Consumer Domains group. We are the team that creates and powers Audibles web applications and underlying services for our global listeners. We are the home for tech talent that wants to grow Audibles market leading business and build the desktop and mobile web sites and services (APIs). The team is comprised of developers who work in a fast-paced agile environment and partner closely with Audible and Amazon tech teams, Product, UX and QA.
We are embarking on a mission to reshape the fundamental experiences and delight our global customers and drive a strong engineering culture. It’s our responsibility to push Audible into new places; wherever our customers are listening. Achieving this vision means expanding and strengthening our development process, how we work and leveraging new technologies to deliver services and web applications. We need your help to develop and deliver on this vision. Success means we lay the foundation for continued expansion of our company without disrupting an already tremendously successful and much loved project.
As a Director, Software Development Consumer Domain, you will:
· Own and lead full life cycle delivery of large cross functional projects spanning teams across Audible and Amazon
· Lead operational excellence of our flagship solutions and drive technical strategy across the organization
· Manage multiple teams, coaching and mentoring our high-performing managers, architects and engineers to help them grow their skills, enhance their knowledge of our systems and their ability to get things done
· Partner with senior leadership and cross-functional teams to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that wows our community and inspires our peers
· Constantly strive to raise the bar on delivery and operational excellence performance and quality in a fast agile environment
· Experience leading managers, architects and full stack development teams that support consumer-facing global web solutions
· 5+ years of experience developing and deploying distributed, low latency, and high availability solutions
· 5+ years of experience managing agile software projects across multiple and geographically distributed teams
· History of delivering customer-driven software products at a high scale in a fast paced, technology first, rapid-growth company
· Prior experience as a software engineer who strategically influenced the direction of the product design and development
· Demonstrated ability to build, motivate and retain high-performance engineering teams while leading engineering culture change
· Prior use of AWS technologies at scale in a production environment
· Working experience with React, PWA, Microservices, CI/CD, and cross-platform development
· Experienced pragmatic decision maker and driver with the ability to articulate product vision and roadmap
· Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively across teams & multiple division stakeholders
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We’re changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading producer and provider of original spoken-word entertainment and audiobooks, we’ve redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it’s our people who make Audible’s service possible. We’re listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us