Real-time Linux is a key requirement for critical infrastructure like 5G cell towers, robotics and self-driving cars. We are excited to bring Ubuntu to the real-time space, and hiring specialist, quality-centric kernel engineers to build and maintain our real-time kernel.
This is an exciting opportunity for a software engineer passionate about open source software, Linux, and the Linux kernel, in particular the real-time kernel extensions. Come build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, a growing international software company.
Canonical’s kernel team delivers a wide array of optimized Linux kernels for Ubuntu on many of the worlds largest clouds and data centers to robotics, IoT and edge compute. This new kernel position will help us extend some of our Ubuntu kernels for optimal performance for real-time workloads. If you have solid general kernel development experience, real-time kernel development skills and love the idea of producing high-quality, high-performance kernels, we encourage you to bring your talents to our growing Linux kernel team to help us provide the same world-class Ubuntu experience to real-time workloads.
What you will do
- Collaborate with a distributed team to regularly deliver updated Ubuntu kernels
- Lead the design and development of real-time extensions in Ubuntu kernels
- Work with a variety of customer and partner engineers to resolve product issues
- Develop and submit software patches in Ubuntu and upstream
- Maintain Ubuntu’s reputation for highly secure kernels by resolving kernel CVEs quickly
- Deliver Ubuntu quality continuous test improvement and regular execution of the Ubuntu kernel testing
- Work remotely with global travel 2 to 4 weeks for internal and external events
Who you are
- You love technology and working with brilliant people
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated
- You thrive in a globally distributed team through self-discipline and self-motivation
- You have a Bachelors or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree
- You love contributing toward making the Linux kernel the best and most capable kernel in the industry
- You are comfortable with the Ubuntu development experience and open source kernel maintenance tooling
- You have a strong interest in real-time workloads and tuning the kernels to optimize their function
Canonical believes a diverse workforce enhances our ability to deliver world class software and services which meet the worlds computing needs. We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.