We bet we can be a great match
Do you want to solve exciting problems in the fast-paced sports betting and gaming industry? Would you like to work in an engaging environment while creating highly reliable and low latency systems? Does working with modern cloud architecture, SRE, and DevOps sound exciting? Then welcome to William Hill.
Working with us, you’ll be at the heart of the technological revolution of one of the world’s most trusted betting and gaming companies. We deal with projects ranging from mobile Casinos to online Sportsbooks and everything in between. The software you write will process 500 online bets per second, accommodate 20 million users, and process 160 terabytes a day. You can be sure there are many more challenges waiting for you.
Your role in the team
Working directly with the business, in an agile team, you will deliver high-quality, customer-focused, technical solutions to exceed the customer’s expectations. You will be active in all phases of the development lifecycle, including:
- Writing well designed, testable, efficient code
- Maintaining automated unit and integration test cases
- Supporting continuous improvement through active collaboration, refactoring, and testing within our team
- Following software development practices into the group with passion and enthusiasm
- Working closely with other agile delivery teams
If you’re passionate about technology and excited about the impact of emerging and disruptive technologies this will be the perfect role for you. At William Hill, we have a strong culture of transparency and trust and we work in an environment that fosters and rewards an ownership mindset. We’re looking for people who will thrive in this environment and are excited by the opportunity to learn new ideas, concepts and ways of working.
We need you to be a real self-starter who is goal focused and you’ll be a good communicator. Confident contributing to team meetings and all ceremonies, you’re a team player with a can-do attitude. You’re highly organised and committed to producing high quality work with a healthy respect for quality and standards.
You will have:
- BS/MS degree (or equivalent) in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related subject.
- Proven hands-on software development experience in Scala
- At least three years of proven work experience in Java or other JVM-based languages
- A willingness to learn and write code in two programming languages, Scala and Java
- A proficiency in database schema design and messaging solutions, preferably Cassandra and Kafka
- Experience of Object-Oriented or functional analysis and design using common design patterns
- Experience in building microservices exposing REST APIs
- Experience with test-driven development
- Experience developing CI/CD automated solutions
- Worked with agile methodologies and concepts such as Scrum, Kanban
- Exemplary communication and people skills in a technical context
We would also love you to have:
- Experience in using Cassandra, Kafka, Spark
- Familiarity with Scala libraries like ZIO, Cats/ScalaZ, Akka-HTTP/Http4s, Alpakka or Akka Streams
- Familiarity with Domain-Driven Design and Event Sourcing
- Experience of software development for high capacity, high traffic, high availability websites
- Experience in DevOps activities, familiarity with AWS, Gitlab, and Gitlab CI
- Experience in working with ticketing systems (preferably JIRA ticketing system)