Data is at the heart of Bloomberg’s technologies, which produce and distribute some of the most critical and valuable data in global business. The Storage Engineering teams design and maintain the systems which store and process that data.
This is not a traditional storage team: we expect our engineers to design and build a highly available, scalable, and durable storage platform. Our platform is a unique mix of commodity hardware, open source software-defined storage, and appliance-based storage solutions. In addition to shepherding our core storage systems, our team is modernizing our automation software for provisioning and management of both vendor storage and software defined storage inside of the Bloomberg ecosystem. The Storage Engineering team works closely with the community and our engineering users to stay at the forefront of both evolving hardware technologies, open source storage platforms and software engineering practices.
What’s in it for you:
This is a unique opportunity to help build robust, petabyte-scale systems which will power the future of Bloomberg’s automated storage infrastructure. We’ll trust you to make meaningful contributions across a diverse set of technologies and projects as well as keeping up with the best ideas in the industry, and contributing new ones.
We’ll trust you to:
- Own the performance and availability of our storage products, innovating to continuously mature our product offerings.
- Build automation around all phases of the storage lifecycle, eliminating toil, automating responses to failures, and generally eliminating as much operational work as possible
- Develop technical solutions which combine hardware and software to achieve required service levels, performance, and economics
You need to have:
- Hands-on software development experience in some combination of C/C++ or Python
- Experience working with scalable distributed systems including deep dives into code, networking, and operating systems
- Expect you to be proficient in software engineering principles with an interest in infrastructure.
We’d love to see:
- Contributions to Open Source projects especially related to Storage, Automation, or Performance Monitoring
- Thorough knowledge and experience with data storage algorithms, technologies such as erasure coding, and complex production troubleshooting
- A keen interest in keeping abreast of technological advances and proven success at incorporating new technology into existing systems
If this sounds like something you would be passionate about apply! We’ll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
Bloomberg is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.