Good storytelling starts with great listening. At Audible, that means each role and every project has our audience in mind. Because the same people who design, develop, and deploy our products also happen to use them. To us, that speaks volumes.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
As a Software Development Director, youll use your expert technical knowledge to improve our software development processes, so that our customers can continue to enjoy the Audible platform. We pride ourselves on our ability to anticipate and solve problems before they arise, youll guide our engineers to identify and overcome ambiguous problems and long-term risks. Youll make decisions to benefit customers, striving to improve the quality and performance of our platform. And while you mentor our managers and engineers, youll also collaborate with teams and stakeholders across the business to communicate new ideas. With a talented team, youll drive technical strategies and successfully deliver software that will make an impact on our listeners.
ABOUT THE TEAM
This opportunity is for a Software Development Manager for Player Mobile Apps team. Player team is responsible for building an audio listening platform that will improve how millions of Audible members hear and interact with spoken word content. We are on a journey to build an audio listening platform designed and optimized for the spoken word over other forms of audio entertainment so that comprehension and emotional impact is maximized for the listener. We own the end-to-end audio listening experience which includes player clients for web, iOS & Android, content security & digital rights management, content delivery infrastructure, and processing / synchronization of listening data across devices at a massive scale.
If your goal is to always raise the bar, this is the role for you. From quality and performance to delivery, you always strive to produce perfection and inspire those around you to do the same. You thrive in fast-paced environments, and youre a talented problem-solver, combining your technical judgement with your analytical and design skills to always make decisions with the customer in mind. We look for leaders who are always a step ahead; who seek out the risks before they become roadblocks. This is your chance to lead our engineers and deliver software that innovates.
As a Software Development Director, you will…
· Play a leading role in managing the delivery of large cross functional projects spanning teams and divisions in Audible and outside of Audible (Amazon teams).
· Collaborate to define core business objectives in order to deliver the best product, program or project with the most efficient use of company resources.
· Work with cross functional teams technology, business and operations to manage multiple projects that have conflicting needs / priorities, from concept to launch.
· Collaborate to define the technical architecture of solutions for mobile devices.
· Work with technical astuteness, be detailed oriented and proactive in seeking open issues in the projects and drive subsequent closure.
· Communicate project risks, progress, launches and retrospectives across all stakeholders and teams consistently and transparently.
· Strive constantly to improve and establish a new bar in performance (using objective metrics) in project execution.
· Actively mentor more junior members of the team, improving their skills, their knowledge of our systems, and their ability to get things done.
· Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or related field.
· 9+ years of experience within software engineering and at least 2 years of experience in Mobile Application Development environment.
· 5+ years of experience managing agile software projects as a manager of software development.
· Prior experience in building enterprise scale Mobile Applications.
· Prior experience in working with an Agile Tool enabled team (CI/CD/Automated Tests etc.).
· Results oriented and with a strong customer focus.
· Able to thrive in an ambiguous environment.
· Detailed oriented to ensure that project success is paramount.
· Excellent Verbal and communication skills.
· Self-starter with the ability to multi-task and work in a fast paced environment.
· Ability to disagree, yet align, when dealing with different stakeholders.
· Strong understanding of current Mobile Ecosystem (Android & iOS APIs, Android Auto, Car Play, Swift, Kotlin, Apple App Store, Google PlayStore, etc.).
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice. We’re changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading producer and provider of original spoken-word entertainment and audiobooks, we’ve redefined the ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments into meaningful experiences and it’s our people who make Audible’s service possible. We’re listeners, storytellers, and problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken word.
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.