Software Development Manager – Restaurant Technologies
- 110 N Carpenter St, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
- McDonald’s Office Location: MHQ
- Global Grade: G4
McDonald’s new growth strategy, Accelerating the Arches, encompasses all aspects of our business as the leading global omni-channel restaurant brand. As the consumer landscape shifts we are using our competitive advantages to further strengthen our brand. One of our core growth strategies is to Double Down on the 3Ds (Delivery, Digital and Drive Thru). McDonald’s will accelerate technology innovation so 65M+ customers a day will experience a fast, easy experience, whether at one of our 25,000 and growing Drive Thrus, through McDelivery, dine-in or takeaway.
Leading this tech revolution is McDonald’s Global Technology organization made up of intrapreneurs who get to build really cool tech with scary smart people using the latest innovations like AI, IOT, and edge computing. We do this working along diverse, global teams who are always hungry for a challenge. It’s bonus points when you get to see your family and friends use the tech you build at their favorite McD restaurant.
As we have matured as an engineering organization and seen the demands for technology grow exponentially, we’re gearing up to deliver on the next set of opportunities for the business. We are building up an engineering team in house accountable for our strategic products. We’ll have diverse squads made up of engineers with traditional and specialized skillsets, both from internal engineers coupled with our partners, to help us flex with demand and solve technology innovation challenges done at an incredible scale.
McDonald’s, one of the most recognized brands in the world, is seeking a skilled Software Development Manager to lead the transformation and ongoing evolution of our Point of Sale (POS) and Restaurant
In this strategy and transformation focused role, you will partner with our Product Management and Architecture teams to define and lead all aspects of execution of the forward-looking vision of McDonald’s POS and Restaurant Technologies and the high-value transformation initiatives that will fuel our journey. Additionally, you will be the primary owner of our relationship with our 3rd party engineering vendors.
That said, the biggest area of increase in our spending has been in technology, which is helping to drive our growth. We’re looking at how to use technology to improve the customer experience; build new customer experiences; reduce or eliminate repetitive tasks and make employees’ jobs more interesting and rewarding. With all the new projects and initiatives, it is an exciting time to be on the team that is helping to make a Better McDonald’s!
- Partner in the vision and own the execution of a transformative roadmap of platform/capability delivery and innovation.
- Partner with the Product owner in story creation and acceptance criteria, and communicate tradeoffs optimally.
- Manage a team of 7+ software development engineers in delivery in the ADLC of McDonald’s end-to-end POS and restaurant technology engineering and experience.
- Lead efforts to drive continuous improvement in delivery speed, quality, value and applied innovation.
- Share input on overall technological architecture of the products to Technology Architecture Leaders.
- Provide the team a roadmap for implementing software engineering practices for higher code quality.
- Share responsibility with Product Owner for building reusable and scalable components.
- Be a critical participant in the growth of your team members. Help them to craft improved products; become better developers; become better architects; become better business partners; and prepare them for bigger challenges.
- Be a practitioner and evangelist of DevOps and Test and Learn cultures.
- 7+ years of recent development experience in C++ / C# and/or Java.
- 3+ years of people management experience.
- Experience leading a team of 7+ engineers.
- Experience in partnering with product and program management teams.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience.
- Deep hands-on technical expertise in modernizing POS and related restaurant technologies
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Preferred candidates will have knowledge in leading edge restaurant technologies and innovation with a focus on the QSR industry and/or recent experience in transforming monolithic architectures into microservices.