We have an opportunity for a Genomics Software Development Project Lead to be assigned to one of two key areas of EMBL-EBI’s genomics portfolio: Agriculture and Biodiversity, or Pathogens.
For Agriculture and Biodiversity, the postholder will be responsible for development and coordination of the Functional Annotation of Animal Genomes project (FAANG), that aims to identify all functional elements in farmed animals and the Darwin Tree of Life project that aims to sequence the genomes of all 70,000 eukaryotic species in the British Isles.
For Pathogens, the primary focus will be EMBL-EBI’s COVID-19 rapid scientific response, with development of the COVID-19 Data Portal and COVID-19 cloud based analytical platform.
This is a Leadership role with direct exposure to some of our flagship projects. You will be instrumental in the architectural design and implementation of data coordination services for the assigned projects. Taking ownership for an existing portfolio of data coordination, cloud compute and Data Portal systems and supplementing these with appropriate modern technologies to satisfy data coordination requirements.
The role will focus on sustainable delivery of common architectural components across the projects, ensuring stability through extensive testing and effective collaborative development and ensuring future portability/scalability through appropriate use of containerisation and cloud technologies.
It is likely the Project Leader will take ownership of developmental activity planning, architecture and strategy for designated services including task scheduling and the management of staff contributing to it’s development. Your input will be valued, participating actively in team management meetings and strategic planning. Project Leaders take an active role in team life and are a point of contact within and outside EMBL-EBI for the projects in which they are involved.
From time to time you may have the opportunity to act as an EMBL-EBI representative at conferences, project management meetings and take an active role in the development and delivery of community training.
Additionally, your role will include:
- Project management of designated projects
- Maintenance and development of analytical platforms, data portals and databases
- Improving stability and throughput of large data flows
- Delivery of expert user support
- Working closely with other Project Leads, Project Managers and Coordinators,
- A leading role in presentation and coordination activities for external projects,
- Supervision and code review of the work of staff members, and
- Leading on technical documentation, as well as provide user-oriented communication with external and internal users of the systems
- Retaining a technical hands-on role by contributing to the codebase
This is a technical software development management position and the ideal candidate will hold a bachelors or higher degree, or have equivalent experience, in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, or related fields.
You will need to be able to evidence your ability to write, understand, review, and maintain complex code, design technical solutions to relevant projects and quickly adapt to evolving technologies. It is expected that you will have at least five years experience in a production software environment and it would be advantageous if some of this was in a biological setting.
The successful candidate is likely to have significant experience in the following:
- Python (Django and Flask frameworks)
- Java (Spring framework)
- Containerisation and cloud deployments, Kubernetes
- An understanding of Omics data and Omics data processing
- Build and deployment tools and processes, testing, CI/CD
- Version control tools
- Distributed computing
- Code review and developer management
- Systems design and architecture
You might also have
The following would be highly desirable:
- Web Services (REST)
- MongoDB, ElasticSearch, Relational Databases
- NextFlow, Snakemake
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills
Why join us
Do something meaningful
At EMBL-EBI you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind’s greatest challenges. EMBL-EBI is a worldwide leader in the storage, analysis and dissemination of large biological datasets. We provide the global research community with access to publicly available databases and tools which are crucial for the advancement of healthcare, food security, and biodiversity.
Join a culture of innovation
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, alongside other prominent research and biotech organisations, and surrounded by beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme including 17% employer contribution, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
- Flexible working arrangements
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
For more details please see our employee benefits page.
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a 3 year contract with an expected end date of the 31/10/2024.
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants.
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities.
- Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so, if you are currently based abroad. Read more about how we are recruiting during the pandemic.
- How to apply: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system. We aim to provide a response within two weeks after the closing date: 15th May 2021.