Our team is building the next generation Sports Betting platform that optimizes flexibility, performance, responsiveness and resiliency. The technologies we like to use include Java, SpringBoot, Kafka, Cassandra, Postgres, Kubernetes, AWS, Postgres, etc.
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineering Team Lead to work directly with the business. Leading an agile team, you will deliver high-quality, customer-focused, technical solutions to exceed the customer’s expectations. You will be active in all phases of the development lifecycle.
If you’re passionate about technology and excited about the impact of emerging and disruptive technologies, this will be the perfect role for you. At William Hill, we have a strong culture of transparency and trust and we work in an environment that fosters and rewards an ownership mindset. We’re looking for people who will thrive in this environment and are excited by the opportunity to learn new ideas, concepts and ways of working as a Software Engineering Team Lead.
You will be a hands-on technical lead responsible for end-to-end delivery of the work within your team whilst promoting knowledge sharing, new technical approaches and allowing the team members room to grow.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Hands on leadership and coaching of the delivery team – you will manage a multi-disciplined team
- Serving as mentor/coach to develop team skills through personal development – imparting your wealth of knowledge to your team and learn along the way
- Regular 1-to-1 catch-ups, objectives setting, probation assessment, personal development plans, performance evaluations and succession planning
- Contribute to the recruitment of team members and the continuous improvement of the recruitment process
- Providing guardrails into development practices and standards, and ensuring adherence
- Ensuring technical debt is managed effectively
- Designing, implementing and documenting solutions through collaboration with developers and the wider teams
- Support planning and pre-planning sessions with Product Owners, Delivery Leads, and Architects
- Taking responsibility for product delivery and your contributions to it. Reviewing code and providing constructive feedback
- Responsibility for the path to live via CI / CD
- Driving improvements in KPI’s (code quality, defects, performance, security, resiliency etc.)
- Communicate clearly with everyone, translating non-technical and technical requirements appropriately
- Understands timelines and dependencies, coordinating with teams around you
- Active participation in the communities of practice associated with your role
- Supporting the production environment for products and services delivered by the team during office hours
What we’d like to see from you – what might set you apart?
- All of the traits of a good Java developer and be an experienced leader of people – Experience gained in Software Engineering, QA and DevOps – including good experience as a Lead Developer or equivalent
- Experience in building microservice architectures
- Experience with AWS, and cloud technologies
- Experience in automated software testing through unit/functional/integration test suites
- A DevOps mindset with an understanding of all the operational considerations for enterprise grade software
- Knowledge of Agile delivery principles and practices such as Scrum or Kanban
- A creative approach to problem solving while keeping solutions as simple as possible
- Commitment and drive. You will see things through to the end and set the example for their team to follow
- The confidence to work outside of your comfort zone and know that benefit can be given, even without deep knowledge of the systems or people