We are looking for a Front End or Full Stack Web Developer with at least 2 years experience to join the ELIXIR Hub. In this new role you will help develop and maintain the main ELIXIR website as well as smaller project websites including the FAIRplus project and the B1MG project.
In this role you will have the chance to work closely with ELIXIR’s Senior Web Developer, and Communications Officers to provide professional and effective communications and collaboration platforms for external users as well as ELIXIR partners. You will also have the opportunity to assist content providers on a daily basis.
You will also help provide support to people who are using ELIXIR’s Single Sign-On solution (the ELIXIR AAI) and ELIXIR’s mailing lists (which use Mailman). Training will be given on these.
As Web Developer you will work collaboratively with all ELIXIR members within the office and across Europe staying abreast of technical developments and emerging trends. As a strategic thinker you will also have the opportunity to use your skills to build innovative and collaborative platforms that attract users.
- Update content and develop new features on the main ELIXIR site (run on Drupal). The post holder will need to acquire a working knowledge of Drupal, if they do not already have it.
- Work with scientists and communications officers to develop small project websites. These websites will typically be based on static site generators like Jekyll.
- Help maintain the main ELIXIR site and existing project websites, including creating new project websites when needed.
- User experience: help get feedback on the ELIXIR websites and improve the sites in response to the feedback.
- Periodically check the search engine visibility and analytics of the site, and plan improvements as a result.
- Ensure the site meets WCAG accessibility requirements.
- Help ensure the ELIXIR sites and any service they use are GDPR compliant.
- Deal with queries and problems from site users.
- Set up new mailing lists in Mailman, and deal with initial queries about them.
- Help oversee the security and maintenance of the main website server (CentOS on Linode).
- Help members of ELIXIR with website issues, including providing them with templates to use for their own local ELIXIR Node sites.
- Assist with the redesign of the main website.
As the successful candidate it is likely that you will offer:
Qualifications and skills:
- A university degree in computer science, bioinformatics, or equivalent experience in web development. Some experience of working in academia, especially in life science, would be an advantage, as would any experience in planning and creating website content.
- Some experience of using PHP.
- Proven experience of planning content and designing user interfaces for websites, following UX best practices.
- Experience using Git and GitHub.
- Awareness of the legal aspects of website development: GDPR, accessibility, and security best practices.
- Knowledge of web analytics, including Google Analytics.
- Good communication skills in spoken and written English. (The post will involve writing and editing some text on web pages).
- Strong analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
- Experience in consulting with project stakeholders with different backgrounds to arrive at solutions agreeable to as many people as possible.
- Ability to articulate ideas and vision to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Self-motivated with a strong sense of service delivery.
- An interest in evolving web technologies and standards and an interest in applying them.
- Some knowledge of Search Engine Optimisation (SEO).
You might also have
- Experience of using a CSS framework such as Bootstrap.
- Some competence with design packages such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Experience using Drupal.
- Experience of writing and editing for the web.
- Training in graphic design. Experience with a static site generator, such as Jekyll.
- Experience of working with Linux servers and command line interfaces.
Why join us
Do something meaningful
ELIXIR unites Europe’s leading life science organisations in managing and safeguarding the increasing volume of data being generated by publicly funded research. It coordinates, integrates and sustains bioinformatics resources across its member states and enables users in academia and industry to access services that are vital for their research.
Join a culture of innovation
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, alongside other prominent research and biotech organisations, and surrounded by beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme including 17% employer contribution, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
- Flexible working arrangements
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
What else you need to know
- Contract duration: This position is a 3 year contract, renewable to a maximum of 9 years.
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants.
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities.
- Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so, if you are currently based abroad. Read more about how we are recruiting during the pandemic.
- How to apply: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system. We aim to provide a response within two weeks after the closing date: 16th June 2021.
Salary grading: 5-6 (monthly salary starting at £2,738 or £3,063 after tax) + benefits
Reference number: EX00019